The name of the organisation shall be the Society for the Study of Religion and Transhumanism (SSRT).
Any person with an interest in the study of religion and transhumanism, both understood in their broadest terms, is eligible for membership.
The rights and privileges of all members shall be the same.
The membership year shall coincide with the calendar year.
There shall be an annual meeting of the SSRT at a time and place set by the Board of Directors.
Business at meetings of the SSRT shall be conducted by the majority decisions of those members present.
At the annual meeting, a report of work done during the year and a financial report shall be presented by the officers.
3. Officers and Board of Directors
The officers of the SSRT shall be the president(s) and a secretary/treasurer.
The president(s), immediate past president(s), secretary/treasurer, and elected directors shall constitute a Board of Directors. Officers of the SSRT shall comprise an executive committee of the board between its meetings. The number of directors may be increased or reduced by a majority vote of the members present at any annual meeting.
The president(s) shall be elected at an annual meeting. After serving as president for three years, this person shall subsequently serve for a further two years as an immediate past president.
Both president(s) and directors may be elected for a second consecutive term, but not for a third.
Vacancies of unexpired terms shall be filled by appointment by the Board of Directors.
Positions for which no nominations are received may be filled by appointment by the Board of Directors at the next annual meeting.
The Board of Directors shall meet at least once a year. Additional meetings shall be held as appropriate. Its business may also be conducted by correspondence or other communications media appropriate to the tasks involved.
4. Duties of Officers and Board of Directors
It shall be the duty of the officers and Board of Directors to:
(a) Perform any and all duties required of them as appointed by the President(s) of the SSRT.
(b) Meet at such times as this Constitution requires.
(c) Guiding the activities of the SSRT between its annual meetings.
(d) Register their email and address with the secretary/treasurer, and notices of the meetings emailed to them shall be valid notices thereof.
The president’s duties shall include, but are not limited to, the following:
· Presiding at all annual and board meetings of the SSRT.
· Arranging all board meetings.
· Conducting elections of all members of the Board of Directors.
· Acting as a liaison with other professional associations and societies.
· Presenting a report of the SSRT’s activities at the annual meeting.
The immediate past president(s) shall perform any act as president that the president is unable to perform.
The secretary/treasurer’s duties shall include, but are not limited to, the following:
· Taking and maintaining the official minutes of the all annual and board meetings of the SSRT.
· Exercising general oversight responsibility for the financial policies and practices of the SSRT.
· Collecting all revenues.
· Paying all bills.
· Keeping an accurate record of all income and expenditures.
· Preparing an annual financial report.
In the absence of the president(s) or immediate past president, the secretary/treasurer shall appoint a chair to direct the affairs of the annual meeting.
5. Nominations and Elections
All persons standing for election shall have been members of the SSRT for at least one year and shall maintain their membership throughout the term of their office.
Nominations for officers and directors shall be made at the annual meeting. Each slate of nominations shall include one or more names for each position.
Elections shall be conducted electronically by ballot send via email to all members of the SSRT.
Candidates receiving the highest number of votes shall be declared elected. In the event of a tie, the Board of Directors shall vote by show of hands at the annual meeting.
The term of office shall begin at the close of the annual meeting.
The constitution may be amended only by the following steps:
· The proposed changes must be submitted in writing to the Board of Directors before the next annual meeting.
· The proposed changes are approved by a majority vote at the annual meeting of the Board of Directors.
· The results must be presented at the next meeting of the SSRT.